Tuesday 5 April 2011

St Helier

Today the morning was spent meandering around the shops in St Helier. All the usual British chain stores are here so it feels much like home - but more expensive! For the second time I couldn't find the fish market - in many places in the world, one just follows one's nose (or in the case of Stonetown Zanzibar, the flies!). Never mind,  I have plenty of time to find it. In the shops I spoke to a variety of helpful shop assistants, Portuguese, Polish, Irish, Liverpudlian, Manchunian, but very few locals, I guess they don't want the minimum wage jobs.

This afternoon I walked up to Fort Regent, which has a commanding view over St Helier. It's actually been turned into a sports venue but was still a nice walk in the hazy sunshine round the walls and the gardens. I walked around the coast road and ended up overlooking Greve D'Azette. The bay is typical of the South East of Jersey, not very pretty and very overdeveloped. Squinting through the thin mist one can see France but I personally would give the coast from St Helier up to Gorey Pier a miss. This bit can be done quickly on the bus for £1.70, leaving much prettier bits to see on foot.



















I meandered back and found a lovely mural on the end wall of a house.



























By the time I got back, him indoors was almost home. A bottle of Chianti and pasta for supper and here endeth another day! It is forecast wall to wall sunshine and almost 70 degrees until Saturday and only a few clouds on Sunday, so we're in for a great few days !!

No comments:

Post a Comment